My Heart and Other Black Holes

My Heart and Other Black Holes - Jasmine Warga

It’s bittersweet. I was anxious to read this novel as this title has been posted everywhere and I have been good and haven’t read any postings as I didn’t want to spoil my read. To make a suicide pact, this seemed like a bizarre concept and then to stretch that idea further and commit that act with a total stranger, I couldn’t understand why someone would want to take that additional step? It seemed that Roman has reasons for choosing to end his life and he has everything mapped out except who his partner will be. To advertise yourself on a website, along with other desperate individuals, everyone there reaching out to each other, everyone looking for a friend, someone to carrying them forward, it just seemed so sad. We meet Aysel who I thought was an interesting individual. She is carrying around some baggage and she’s suffering. As she wanders around the website, Smooth Passages she’s looking for partner and she finds Roman. As they connect, suicide is not the only thing the two of them share. I enjoyed the book and the subject matter but I just didn’t enjoy it as much as I had hoped. It just didn’t have the vigor, I was looking for and I thought it could carry.