Little Red Writing by Joan Holub

Little Red Writing - Joan Holub, Melissa Sweet

This book had potential, it sure had a great illustrator to grab your attention but the story line was all over the place.   I really thought this book would be a great tool to use to help students learn something about writing a story, about the mechanics of story writing, perhaps on how to set up the introduction, adding adjectives or verbs to make your story more exciting but after reading the book, I was more confused than when I started. I tried to see this book through the eyes of a child and it just didn't flow. The author does tell the reader what adjectives and adverbs and how using too many of them together can ruin a story but wow, the rest of the book could have informed the readers some other valuable information instead of following Little Red on her adventure.  I really had high hopes for this book.  The illustrator did an excellent job with what she had to work with, I liked the bright pages, the different sized fonts high-lightening the different words, and I enjoyed the busy pages, there was always something catching my eye as I wandered throughout the book.