Blackfin Sky by Kat Ellis

Blackfin Sky - Kat Ellis

I found this book confusing, it seemed to go and go and then finally at the end the puzzle was solved and I was left standing for more. In the beginning, I was following along and then all these fragmented pieces came into play and I couldn’t tell whether I had missed something or the character had just had one of her experiences.   Stopping, I had to go back and reread what I had previously read, it was all so confusing, like a senseless mind trip for which I wasn’t totally submerged.   After reading the novel, I looked at the reviews and many people praised the book for its unpredictability and its mysterious nature and I have to agree that it sure had that.

The story is told from the perspective of a haunted weathervane, Silas who watches everything in the town of Blackfin. This town along with its population is unique; the town has a reputation of messes with its citizen’s heads. Sixteen-old Sky makes her way into school one day, except this is not a typical school day. Everyone is shocked to see her as she has been dead for 3 months after her birthday party. Retrieved from the water, they buried her and mourned her but to Sky that was just a dream that she had. Where has Sky been these past three months and how can she be alive? Sky must retrace her steps the night of her party to uncover the truth. The story gets twisted complete with a circus, a gypsy, a Blood House, dreams, and time travel, so hold on as this book will definitely take you on a trip. I liked the beginning and the ending; I just wished that in the middle I could have had something more to hold onto.