Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer

Belzhar - Meg Wolitzer

At first I had no desire to read this book, the cover did nothing for me and the synopsis looked rather boring so why did I pick it up? I have no idea, seriously. I was going through the new releases at the library and I just grabbed it and boy, am I glad that I did! Reading this as a buddy read with a great friend who I met on Goodreads, we both really enjoyed this book and found the characters interesting.

As the characters are gathered in the Wooden Barn, a place for healing, I knew this was the book for me. Books dealing with mental illness are one of my favorites. Reeve, the main character knows she was sent away to the boarding school for being “emotionally fragile” and at first, she is distress but as her day’s progress, she is starting to fit in. Enrolled in a Special Topics English class with a few other chosen students, these elite teens all have personal stories they have choose to keep to themselves. It’s only when Mrs. Quenell hands them each a journal, that their lives are changed. Writing in their individual journals unites the group, bonding them and they start to meet weekly. During these meetings, no one is quick to share their story, for their stories are buried deep within but they know there is something that unites them.

As I read the reviews on this book and I see the individuals who did not finish the book, I feel sorry for them as they really missed an exceptional ending and book. As the goose bumps rose on my arms, I read each word slowly as the character repeated the words slowly out loud on the phone; it couldn’t get any better than this. I’m glad I went with my gut feeling and picked up this book at the library.