Beware the Wild by Natalie Parker

Beware the Wild - Natalie C. Parker

They’ve tried to contain it; long ago they built a fence around it and told everyone to stay away. The stories of long ago have been passed down, some magical, some mysterious but the ones that Sterling remembers are the ones told around the campfire and the ones Old Lady Clary tells. When her brother Phin walks into the swamp and doesn’t return, Sterling fears the worse. Her anticipation and anxiety is felt through the pages and a sign a relief is finally felt when a shape starts to emerge from swamp’s shadows. A female, how can this be… this is not Phin. Everyone accepts this female as Sterling’s sister, a sister Sterling didn’t realize she had until the form emerged from the swamp. And her brother? No one remembers him, no memories of him exist, it’s as though he was an imaginary person that Sterling created but Sterling knows otherwise. This girl is fierce, Sterling is determined to find out what happened to her brother in the swamp and who exactly this girl is who everyone thinks is her sister. As Sterling is frantically trying to piece the puzzle together, Heath approaches her. He is first person who believes her as he also has lost someone in the swamp.  Amidst this creepy swamp and with all this drama occurring, these two teens find a few tender moments among themselves. This distraction does not stop Sterling from hunting down her brother. The stories they’ve heard are just the beginning as they uncover the swamps history and its power.

I was lost and absorbed into this story as Sterling and Heath tried to unravel the mystery of the remarkable world of the swamp. The swamp took on a world of its own and it was more than I ever expected. Creepy yet inviting, the stories it possessed were so creative and compelling that I wanted to know about it. A great piece of work. I will definitely be keeping my eye out for more books by Natalie Parker.